Thursday, June 02, 2005

Best beer... ever...

I had forgotten how good my favorite beer is. I stopped by Wild Oats this afternoon and among the healthy, earthy, all-natural, and slightly overpriced fare I found an unusual treasure... something I hadn't purchased in about a year. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout has been my favorite beer since a tasting I attended four years ago, and I had forgotten how good this beer actually is. It's not just a drink... it's a meal. Originally marketed in the 1800's as a drink for lactating mothers, Oatmeal Stout is good and good for ya. I'm buying it for my wife... really... And it has the smoothest finish I've ever had in a dark beer. In fact, the entire Samuel Smith line is fantastic and all of the beers have an extra smooth finish. Somewhat of a splurge at $9.50 for four bottles, but well worth it.